Writer’s Block – How to Overcome It
Recently I’ve decided that my goal is to not only overcome writer’s block, but to utterly decimate it. Ok, maybe that’s a little “over-the-top”, but the idea is that I overcome it, rather than let it overcome me.
Here are some ways I’ve found to overcome writer’s block or how to “reboot my creative ecosystem” or “rekindle that inner fire to do creative things”, etc:
- Realize, it’s ok to take a break, don’t stress about it.
- Realize that “being, feeling blocked” is kind of a state-of-mind, but there are ways to get back into the right state of mind
- Think of the ways I can get back into the correct state-of-mind for creativity and begin the process of getting back into that state-of-mind.
- Things like the following help get me back into the creative state-of-mind and focus with lots of inspiration:
- Think of the bigger picture of why I’m doing something
- Get out of my routine by going to a new place to have new experiences
- Go for a hike a walk, get fresh air, more sleep, get out in nature more to regain perspective of my life
- Talk to other people and try to empathize with them to gain new perspective
- Read, watch, listen to other works of art that will inspire and energize me.
- Finally, realize it’s ok to be “creatively” blocked for some amount of time, weeks, months even years. Sometimes taking a break will help you appreciate and recognize what it is you really enjoy doing with regards to your creative outlet (e.g. job, hobbie, etc).
I hope this post has given you some ideas of how to break through a writer’s block. I know I am starting to feel inspiration to work on more creative projects, just talking about this process!